Christmas Reflection (Vivienne Ng)

 


Hi all. Vi here. Merry Christmas from our family of 11!!! Last night, we had the first reunion of ALL 5 foster kids + 1 sibling (Audrie Siew 's ex foster dg who has also stayed over before), except for the 2 babies we previously fostered. It was a riot! But a delight to catch up and to pray a blessing over them at Christmas.

Having lived 5 decades; believed in Jesus for 4 of those decades; been a psychologist for 3 decades, a parent for 2 & a foster parent for 1......

I am still awestruck & moved by the profundity of the Christmas Story & Message. It answers all the psychological, existential, relational questions I have had in my life, not just from my own childhood search for truth & meaning, but as a mental health professional and parent.
- As a psychologist, I know that there is something inside of us that yearns for absolute goodness/perfection as well as deep connection (unconditional love), but in my experience, we are not inherently good, despite humanistic theories and despite our efforts. We all fall short.
That God even wants a relationship with us is mind blowing....
- But as a parent, I know what lengths I would go to for my kids - to fight for them & to win them over. How much I desire their love despite the grief of having to punish them for wrongdoings! At the crypt and the cross, is where love and justice mingle, where truth and mercy meet.
- And, as a foster parent, I know that just belonging to someone, being wanted, valued and simply worth it, is all our foster kids desire. They all wanna either go home to their own families or to find a family of their own (for those who cannot go home). If no one cares for me or wants me, how can I be of worth?
What great love and sacrifice it too then, for our Creator, the God of the universe, to send His Son Jesus into our world in order to redeem us, when we could never ever pick ourselves up out of sin!! And that Jesus humbled himself enough to show up on earth as a helpless baby, and that He did it willingly too.... totally counterintuitive....but how personal is that?!!!
What amazing love He has for us, to choose to adopt us into His family through His Son, so that we can go to Him as our Father.
What incredible lengths our Heavenly Father has taken, just to meet us relationally - the fact that He knows us intimately & allows Himself to be known by us. Emmanuel (God with us) - that we can actually experience Him, & that He can be so near and not far away.
That is why the birth of Christ is such an amazing event.. separating time itself into "before" and "after". As I was reflecting on this the other day, I thought to myself, yet again, yes this is an amazing God indeed!!

Popular posts from this blog

Robin and Linda's Extraordinary Ordinary Lives

"A Cheerful Giver" (Michael & Irene)

MSF Award Ceremony for Foster Children and Youth 2022 (Audrie)

Fostering Tea Session April 2023 (Alan & Eliz) - Caring for a Foster Child with Neurodiversity

Launch of Befrienders for Families with co-developer The Salvation Army